A small puppy who's training to do big things

PIT is not an acronym for "Pain in the ...." It stands for Puppy In Training. (Although my mom sometimes thinks it really does stand for "pain in the ....") I'm growing up and being trained to be a service dog. I don't know yet what kind I'll be. I might be a guide dog, or a social dog, or service dog. I'll have to wait until I'm old enough for puppy college for that.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Getting to know my new family

My name is Daisy. I'm one of the wildflower puppies from KSDS. My cousin Avalon is from KSDS, too. Avalon is better at using a computer than I am, but both of us thought it would be funny if I took Mom's computer for a while each week and tell you about what I'm doing each week.

Mom says when I grow up I'm going to have a really important job as an assistance dog. I might be a service dog, or social dog, or a guide dog. So even though I'm only five months old, I'm already being home-schooled by my mom. Mom says I'll go to real school soon.

My mom often calls me Daisy Mae, but sometimes she uses my middle name: Leave It. I'm not sure why she gave me such an odd middle name. At least my name is better than my brother's. His name is Liam No.

I came to live with my mom, my dad and my brother in August 2011. My brother is in 5th grade and loves to play with me at every opportunity. Of course my mom thinks I'm the cutest puppy ever. My dad thinks I'm pretty nice, but he's not as much of a dog person as Mom and Liam are. I think I'll win him over soon. Beebop and Zoe live here, too.

Beebop the cat is pretty interesting. I tried to make friends with her right after I came here, but I guess she's not much of a dog person either. Beebop seems to be in charge around here and Mom's always taking Beebop's side whenever anything happens. I was pretty sure Beebop wanted to be chased up into a tree the other day, but Mom was not happy.

I haven't quite figured out Zoe yet. She's a small white fluffy thing that Mom says is a dog. I'm not too sure about that. More like a quarter of a dog if you ask me. Zoe was my size when I came here, but she has not grown a single bit since I came! Maybe that's why she is so grumpy. She never wants to play, even though I keep asking. Maybe I'll eventually win her over, too, but I'm not counting on that one.

One of the games I like to play is called "Off." When I jump up on the couch, Mom says, "Off," and I start rolling around on the cushions. The more I roll, the more she says, "Off." I still haven't figured out the point of this game, but it sure is a lot of fun.

Mom is pretty nice, but she has a lot to learn about sharing. I am really good at finding paper, sticks and other fun things to chew on. When I find one, I don't want to bother Mom, so I run to the living room to savor my new find. When Mom sees me run, she always comes. (I have her pretty well trained, don't I?) "Give," is the first thing she says when she catches me. Naturally I'm not really keen on the idea of giving her my find - if she wants to chew on a magazine she can get her own. There's always another one on the pile. And if taking it away wasn't bad enough, it's what Mom does with it once I give it to her: she throws it away!!! Really! If she's not going to use it, why can't I have it?

I'll tell you later about my adventures. There's a few things my cousin Avalon has told me to try, so I'll let you know about those later. Avalon told me pre washing the dishes in the dishwasher wasn't a good idea, but I thought I'd try it anyway. Let's just say my mom wasn't any happier about that than Avalon's mom was. You would think with Mom's busy life she would have been happy with a new time-saving trick!

OK, Mom wants to use the computer now, so I'll tell you all about my trip to the mall next time.

P.S. You can read more about my cousin Avalon

1 comment: